People are coming back to Downtown Vancouver faster than any other downtown in Canada. Visitors are returning downtown to eat, drink, shop and attend events. Vancouver’s retail recovery has performed better than any other major market in Canada, with retail sales up 14% compared to 2019. This year’s report focuses on recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic and explores the ‘return-to-office’ and the impacts of the “Hybrid” working model on the downtown core.
- 3.3 Million sq. ft. of office space coming downtown from 2022-2024.
- 8% more cruise ships docking at Canada Place in 2022 than in 2019.
- As of March 2022, 85% of Downtown retail space has open and operating businesses.
- Vancouver is 3rd in North American high-tech job growth.
- Downtown hotel occupancy up 38% in 2022.
On Wednesday, April 27th, Downtown Van released the State of Downtown 2022 report.
The launch event included a panel of experts which included Jeff Guignard, Executive Director, Alliance of Beverage Licensees (ABLE BC); Andrew Petrozzi, Director Research, Western Canada Commercial, Altus Group; and Paulina Cameron, CEO, Forum for Women Entrepreneurs. The event was moderated by Downtown Van’s Economic Development Manager, Gavin Duffus.
Download the full report here.