The Securing Small Business Rebate provides businesses with relief from costs associated with property crime and vandalism
Recognizing the increased costs to businesses due to property crime and vandalism in rural and urban communities across the province, the Ministry of Jobs, Economic Development and Innovation has launched its $10.5 million Securing Small Business Rebate Program, which will provide small businesses with funds for eligible commercial property crime and vandalism repairs, or to implement eligible preventative measures. The BC Chamber of Commerce will administer the rebate program and leverage its provincial network of 100 chambers of commerce and boards of trade and its myriad industry partners, including Business Improvement Areas, to ensure businesses from every sector and region of the province are aware of the rebate.
- The application portal is now open
- Rebate applications are retroactive to January 1, 2023, through December 31, 2024.
- The deadline for rebate applications in respect of repairs or preventative measures undertaken January 1, 2023 to December 31, 2023, is February 29, 2024.
- The deadline for rebate applications in respect of repairs or preventative measures undertaken January 1, 2024 to December 31, 2024, is January 31, 2025.
To be eligible for the rebate, a business must:
- Be located in an area of British Columbia zoned for commercial or light industry use; and
- Have an exterior entrance (accessible directly from an outside area such as sidewalk, street, or parking area), which serves as the primary access point for customers and clients; and
- Have a B.C. Business Registration Number; and
- Be in good standing with the Province of British Columbia; and
- Have less than 50 employees at the time the police report is filed for damage to commercial property, or at the time preventative work is undertaken, and
- Not have received an alternative, local rebate or grant to cover the same expense
Eligible reparative work undertaken includes repair to and/or replacement of windows and doors, as well as removal of graffiti.
Eligible preventative measures include the purchase and installation of security cameras, gates, shatterproof glass, and exterior light enhancements.
- Provides relief for costs not covered by insurance or the insurance deductibles for those costs
- Can be claimed for both calendar years 2023 and 2024
- Is valued at up to $2,000 per calendar year
- Provides relief for costs incurred to prevent damage to commercial property
- Can be claimed for either calendar year 2023 or 2024
- Is valued at up to $1,000 for the chosen year