The DVBIA enhances public spaces downtown by programming engaging and accessible Perches
The Perch Program leverages the limited number of public spaces available downtown by programming privately owned but publicly accessible spaces. This provides increased opportunities for socializing, destinations, entertainment or respite in the public realm of Downtown Vancouver.
In direct consultation with Vancouver Coastal Health, our perches at Lot 19 and Cathedral Square will be open from June to September 2020. Vancouver Coastal Health approves of the perch program and encourages providing more outdoor seating and space for the downtown community.
As food courts and restaurants are operating with physical distancing guidelines in place, the perch program will continue to activate public space and to provide a preferable alternative in outdoor seating for the downtown community.
Vancouver Coastal Health recommended guidelines in place:
– Physical distancing seating layout and a reduced number of tables/chairs to allow for more space
– Scheduled daily cleaning of outdoor seating
– Physical distancing signage
855 West Hastings Street
A lunchtime oasis, Lot 19 features ample bistro furniture and park benches for nearby office workers and tourists to seek respite. A walkway between Hastings and Cordova street, this small parklet has views of the north shore mountains and an award-winning chocolate cafe on site.
566 Richards Street
Seating in Cathedral Square boasts a view of a French Gothic revival church while also being situated on the Richards & Dunsmuir bike path. Nearby amenities include JJ Bean (for coffee and other refreshments) and the volunteer-run Hives for Humanity pollinator meadow and apiary.
Enjoy music busking during the lunch hour as well as pop-up art exhibits in partnership with Art Vancouver.
The Downtown Vancouver BIA is grateful to the following perch program partners in downtown who activate their private plazas as a community space. While private properties re-examine their capacity to steward perches this summer in 2020, stay tuned for updates in late June and early July for their opening hours.
- Lot 19 (855 West Hastings), Easy Park – open
- Cathedral Square (566 Richards), Vancouver Parks Board – open
- Guinness Tower (1055 West Hastings), Oxford Properties
- Oceanic Plaza (1066 West Hastings), Oxford Properties
- 401 West Georgia, Oxford Properties – under construction
- 1188 Alberni (1188 West Georgia), GWL
- 1075 West Georgia, Colliers
- Nelson Square (808 Nelson Street)
- Orpheum (884 Granville), Vancouver Civic Theatres
- Bentall IV (1055 Dunsmuir), Hudson Pacific Properties
- Bentall II (555 Burrard), Hudson Pacific Properties
- Cadillac Fairview (Georgia and Howe) – under construction