A lot has happened since 1990, and the DVBIA has achieved so much. Take a look through some of our milestones and see photos from our 30th anniversary celebrations!
Last week the DVBIA celebrated its 30th anniversary with our nearest and dearest. We spent the evening eating cake, drinking cocktails, and reminiscing over a successful 30 years.
Held at Open Outcry on West Pender, the DVBIA welcomed its Board Members, Policy Advisory Council and close members to join us in the cutting of our birthday cake. A special thanks to Phil Boname, the founder of the DVBIA and the first Canadian Chair of the association, who joined in on the festivities.
Centre stage were the DVBIA’s milestones, highlighting our success stories from 1990 to 2020. Stories included:
- 1993: The Downtown Ambassador Program is created. Four Ambassadors are hired to entertain passersby with music and comedy, and to dispense information about downtown.
- 1997: The Downtown Clean Team sees young people employed to support the beautification and cleanliness of downtown streets by removing graffiti and litter.
- 2010: The newly re-designed Granville Street is ready in time for the Olympics. ‘Rediscover 2.010’ is set to take advantage of the street still closed to traffic.
- 2015: The DVBIA celebrates its 25th anniversary by engaging 11,000 Vancouverites in its Re-Imagine Downtown Vancouver 2040.
- 2018: The DVBIA’s Summer Movie Nights 8-week series became the first ‘regular’ north plaza activation every Wednesday night.
We’d like to thank all those who attended this celebratory event and thank our members for a wonderful 30 years. Here’s to 30 more!