The final plaza design was informed through feedback from residents, plaza users, and businesses. Once complete, it will feature:
- A flexible open space for year-round events with moveable seating and tables, additional benches and lighting
- A continuous level surface of concrete and pavers to create consistency with the recently renovated šxʷƛ̓ənəq Xwtl’e7énḵ Square (located on the north side of the Vancouver Art Gallery)
- Pedestrian improvements at the intersection of Hornby and Robson Streets, including better separation for people cycling and driving
- Improved lighting and power connections
Why is this work being done?
The plazas surrounding the Vancouver Art Gallery have long been a space for people to socialize, and a place for civic and creative expression. The 800 block of Robson Street, often referred to as Robson Square, is a city-serving public space and a regional destination, drawing residents and visitors to the heart of the city for democratic and creative expression, relaxation, and enjoyment.
Creating a permanent plaza fills a vital need for public space with important social, cultural, and civic functions. The final design was informed through feedback from residents, visitors, plaza users, and businesses.
Construction: What to Expect
Access to the 800 Robson Plaza will be closed until construction is complete in spring 2020. During this time, an accessible pedestrian detour will be in effect directing to Georgia Street along the north side of the Vancouver Art Gallery.
- Access to neighbouring facilities and amenities will be maintained
- Work hours will typically be Monday to Friday from 7am to 5:30pm
- Some extended work hours may be needed: weekdays up to 8pm and weekends
- Periods of noise, dust and vibration are expected during construction
- Plaza vendors have temporarily relocated to an adjacent spot in the area
Key Project Info and Contacts
Project Name: 800 Robson Plaza Upgrades
Project Website: vancouver.ca/robsonplaza
Project Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Contact: Jennifer Davis, Project Manager, City of Vancouver
Project Phone: 604-873-7394
Location: 800 Robson Plaza, Howe to Hornby Street
Construction Duration: September 2019 – Spring 2020
The City of Vancouver wants to thank you in advance for your patience and understanding as they complete the permanent plaza upgrades with the Province of BC.
To learn more about this project, read there Robson Upgrades FAQ.