Some of the clean team duties include performing micro-cleaning services on sidewalks and in other public spaces, reporting cleanliness and graffiti issues to the appropriate organizations, collecting and reporting discarded needles found on the downtown streets, and pressure washing in some areas of downtown.
The Clean Team are dedicated to recycling whenever possible. Each trash bag holds up to 100 litres of waste, and it is not uncommon for the team to collect up to four bags of recycling a day – predominately cardboard.
The use of cellphones (and some specific apps) are crucial for the clean team to be able to perform their duties. The team use their phones throughout the day to:
- Keeping track of blocks cleaned
- Tracking time taken to clear areas
- Tracking sharps collected
- Sharing sharps data with partnering agencies
- Taking photos of areas that need escalating to higher authorities
- Sending reports straight to the City through the app, VanConnect